Thursday, December 9, 2010

Accenting with Trunks

When Craig picked out the antique trunks that we carry in the store, I was a little hesitant.  Mainly because I wanted our store to feel more hip and Shanghai-esque, so to speak.  Antique trunks just weren't on my radar screen.  But as we've arranged them in the store, either as coffee tables or underneath consoles (and sold them quickly), I'm beginning to get it.  Now that my eyes are open, I'm seeing well-edited homes that are blending styles with these antique trunks to create warm ambiances that aren't old-ladyish.  Sorry if that description is offensive to anyone :)  

I will take pride in our trunks.  They're not made out of brand new plywood and distressed to look old, even though they're often more affordable.  They don't even have metal staples or nails.  No, they're 120-150 years old and were hand-made, hand-painted, and put together using a "butterfly" technique that requires no nails.  They're heavy and are made to last.  I like that they have a story to them.  Just like the homes that they will eventually live in.



 (via Traditional Home)

 (designed by Ana Ros)
(from our store)

See you soon,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment