Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Heart of the Household

I'm a fanatic about kitchens.  For me, they're the hub of the household and function not only as a place to prepare and share meals, but as the gathering spot at any time of the day.  A few days a week, you'll find me in front of my laptop at the kitchen table.  Not in a home office or a living room or in the dining room, but right smack in the middle of it all.  It's certainly not the most comfortable place for me to perch, but I like being in the heart of the home where all of the activity takes place.  Growing up, I was lucky enough to have Miss Nell cooking at our house once a week.  She was a heavy-set African American woman with deep southern roots who made the best fried pies this side of the Mississippi.  I'll never forget Miss Nell in my momma's kitchen, teaching me how to make split pea soup or how to fry chicken.  She had so many stories to tell and always had a few little ears to tell them to.  Just as it is today in my own home, the kitchen in my family's home was the heart of our household and the inspiration for so many fond memories that I have today.  Maybe that's why I'm such a fanatic about kitchens--I know they're the starting point for memories that I'll have for years to come.  Here are a few of my favs:




This sink blows me a way--I've never seen anything quite like it!


Miles Redd's amazing black lacquered kitchen with mirrored backsplash



Tracery Interiors Kitchen
Isn't this hood amazing!  It still feels cold, they could've chosen warmer accessories to make the space feel more comfortable.


Martha Stewart designed kitchen.  I'm drooling over that expresso machine!


The kitchen above is from Ikea--can you believe that?!

Summerour Architects

No comments:

Post a Comment